We specialize in multiple areas of dentistry so that we can provide you with excellent, comprehensive care. The primary focus of cosmetic dentistry is to improve the overall appearance of your smile. If you are dissatisfied with the way that your teeth, gums, and mouth look, cosmetic dentistry treatments could be right for you.
Cosmetic dentist Dr. Michael Chung uses his advanced dental training to help patients achieve their dream smiles. He can provide anything from simple color correction to a complete smile transformation.
To learn if cosmetic dentistry treatments are right for you, please schedule an appointment with Softouch Dental care at 703-319-6990. We welcome patients from Vienna, McLean, and nearby areas of Northern Virginia at our Oakton office.
- Popular Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
- Common Problems that Cosmetic Dentistry Can Treat
- Treating Chipped Teeth
- Correcting Crooked Teeth
- Cosmetic Dentistry for Teeth Gaps
- Improving Misshapen Teeth
- Cosmetic Dentistry for Discolored Teeth
- Improving Your Gummy Smile
- Choosing the Right Cosmetic Dentist
- Schedule Your Consultation
Popular Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Thanks to countless innovations in the field of cosmetic dentistry, you have more options to transform your smile than ever before. At our practice, we focus on offering effective treatments that can give you long-lasting results.
Some of the treatments that we offer include:
- Porcelain veneers
- Tooth whitening
- Porcelain fillings
- Dental bonding
- Laser gum recontouring
Patients seeking to treat multiple cosmetic problems may be candidates for a smile makeover, which uses a customized blend of cosmetic dentistry treatments to restore a vibrant, symmetrical smile.
Designing your dream smile is a collaborative process. During your consultation, Dr. Chung will work with you to determine the best treatments for your unique needs and goals. He will discuss the potential benefits and limitations of every procedure and answer any questions that you have.
Common Problems that Cosmetic Dentistry Can Treat
Cosmetic dentistry treatments can fix almost any cosmetic dental concern that you have. These treatments are incredibly versatile, which is why more people than ever are relying on cosmetic dentistry to transform their smiles – and their confidence!
Cosmetic dentistry can improve common issues such as:
- Discolored or stained teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Jagged, chipped, or cracked teeth
- Unevenly spaced teeth
- Bite conditions including overbite, underbite or crossbite
- Excess or uneven gum tissue
If you have cosmetic issues as well as functional issues, then you may benefit from full mouth rejuvenation. Everyone’s smile is different, but many full mouth reconstruction treatment plans utilize general, neuromuscular, and cosmetic dentistry procedures.
Treating Chipped Teeth
Even when you maintain good oral hygiene, accidents happen. If you were involved in a mishap that left you with a chipped tooth or chipped teeth, you do not have to live with that chip forever. Whether your chip is minor or you suffered a severe crack that is causing you pain, you should seek the advice of a qualified cosmetic dentist.
Dr. Chung will do the following to determine your treatment option:
- Accurately assess your damage visually and through X-rays
- Determine if your tooth’s root has been affected
- Discuss your options with you to find the best solution
Be sure to seek dental care quickly. Perhaps your tooth does not look badly fractured, but it is badly damaged inside. Waiting to address this issue will only create more problems and can lead to future pain and costly treatment. Visiting a dentistry office right away will restore and maintain the beauty and health of your smile.
Read about cosmetic dentistry on our blog!
Correcting Crooked Teeth
If you are bothered by misaligned or crooked teeth when you look in the mirror, you have several options for enhancing your smile. Dr. Chung will be able to determine the best type of treatment for your specific situation. The first step is to consider:
- The severity of your crooked smile
- Your budget for treatments and your eligibility for financing
- The time you are willing to wait to achieve picture-perfect results
If you have slightly crooked teeth, you can undergo a dental bonding procedure and walk out of our office with an immediately improved smile. With dental bonding, a tooth-colored resin is applied to your teeth and works to reshape your natural teeth so they appear straight. This minimally-invasive procedure is the most cost-effective way to correct slightly crooked teeth, but it only lasts an average of 10 years.
A moderately crooked smile can be fixed with porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are thin ceramic shells that fit over the surface of your natural teeth. Dr. Chung places them in just two visits to our office. Veneers can replicate the appearance of natural enamel better than a tooth-colored bonding resin.
If you do not want to make cosmetic alterations to your natural teeth but still want to correct a crooked smile, you may be a candidate for Invisalign. This treatment works by moving your teeth with a series of clear, custom-designed aligners. These clear, virtually invisible trays shift the position of your teeth in months.
Cosmetic Dentistry for Teeth Gaps
If you are frustrated with spaces between your teeth, cosmetic dentistry can help. Depending on the severity of your teeth gaps, there are several procedures you can choose from to achieve the smile of your dreams.
Dental bonding can often correct small tooth gaps. If you have larger spaces between your teeth, you may be a candidate for porcelain veneers.
If you want to close the gaps between your natural teeth instead of covering them with restorations, Dr. Chung might recommend orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic treatment can take months, but it is an excellent option for the right patient.
"I constantly receive compliments on my smile. Interestingly enough, I find that my smile puts others at ease in my presence and allows for open dialogue and discussions.” — O’Kelly
Improving Misshapen Teeth
Misshapen teeth are not just an aesthetic concern; they can be detrimental to the function of your overall oral health. There are several cosmetic dentistry options for fixing misshapen teeth, based on the severity of your condition.
If you have a few moderately misshapen teeth, dental bonding can be used to alter the appearance of your smile. The bonding procedure utilizes a composite resin that is color-matched and applied to the surface of your misshapen tooth. The bonding material is hardened with a special light source and carefully shaped so that your crooked tooth looks straight and attractive.
For more severely misshapen teeth, porcelain veneers can be placed over your teeth to create an aesthetically-pleasing appearance. These restorations are a more durable and longer-lasting alternative to dental bonding.
Cosmetic Dentistry for Discolored Teeth
Maybe you are a fan of red wine, enjoy dark cola, or you are an avid coffee drinker. If this sounds like you, your teeth may have picked up stains over the years. Depending on your degree of discoloration, teeth whitening can help you achieve a brighter, whiter smile.
You have several options for whitening your smile:
- In-office tooth whitening: At Softouch Dental Care, we use the Zoom! tooth whitening system. This unique and innovative method of teeth whitening can brighten your smile by five to six shades in just an hour. Zoom! is safe, fast and effective.
- Dentist-dispensed take-home whitening kits: Another option for tooth whitening is dentist-dispensed take-home kits. These are whitening trays created to fit your specific bite and provide uniform color correction. Dentist-dispensed take-home trays use a professional strength whitening gel along with desensitizing gel to ensure your comfort as you whiten your teeth.
- Porcelain veneers: Sometimes, people have dental discoloration that is too severe for whitening treatments to improve. If your teeth are unresponsive to whitening, you may benefit from porcelain veneers. Veneers cover the surface of your teeth, giving you a smile that looks natural and bright.
Improving Your Gummy Smile
If your gum tissue extends too far along the surface of your teeth, you may have a “gummy smile.” People with a gummy smile are often concerned that their teeth look smaller than they really are.
Thankfully, we offer a fast and gentle way to change the way your smile looks dramatically. Dr. Chung can remove excess tissue to reveal the surface of your teeth. Laser dentistry can also improve an uneven or asymmetrical gum line.
Laser treatments produce instant results and require little to no recovery time. Most patients can return to their normal activities right away!
Choosing the Right Cosmetic Dentist
Not every cosmetic dentist has the same level of knowledge, experience, and training. When researching a cosmetic dentist in your area, you should take care to examine their background and credentials.
Dentists who are members in certain professional organizations indicate that they are not only taking an active role in the dental community, but that they are continuously advancing their knowledge and staying on top of innovations and new technology.
Dr. Chung is:
- A proud member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry: Cosmetic dentists who are accredited with the AACD have completed an extensive written examination, oral examination, and clinical case examination.
- A fellow of the American Academy of General Dentistry: Because general dentistry is such an essential foundation for cosmetic dentistry treatments, it is in your best interest to determine whether or not the cosmetic dentist you are considering has fellowship in the AGD. You can trust Dr. Chung to approach your smile holistically, paying attention to the beauty, health, and function of your smile all at the same time.
- A graduate of the Las Vegas Institute of Advanced Dental Studies: The Las Vegas Institute (LVI) is a prestigious dental school where many cosmetic dentists continue their education and stay abreast of technological advancements in dentistry. If a dentist is affiliated with LVI, this means that they have been trained in advanced skills, and are held to an extremely high aesthetic standard of dental care.
Your smile is an investment: make sure it is given the highest quality care by choosing the right cosmetic dentist.
View our before and after gallery!
Schedule Your Oakton Cosmetic Dentistry Consultation
If you’re considering cosmetic dentistry and would like to learn more about your treatment options, please call Softouch Dental Care at 703-319-6990 to arrange your consultation with Dr. Chung. We welcome patients from Oakton, Vienna, McLean, and throughout Northern Virginia.