Sleep apnea is a serious condition that results in repeated interruptions in breathing while you sleep. As a result, your body does not get the oxygen it needs. Over time, this can increase your risk of developing a variety of serious health conditions such as heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, and depression.
Due to the serious consequences of sleep apnea, it is important to be aware of the warning signs of this condition. If you experience any symptoms, Dr. Michael Chung can help you get the treatment you need. Please call 703-319-6990 today to schedule a sleep apnea consultation.
Common Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
There are many symptoms of sleep apnea, and each patient will experience a different combination of these. The most common symptom is loud snoring. Other symptoms can include:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Waking up with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Waking up with a choking or gasping sensation
- Morning headaches
- Attention problems
- Restless sleep
- Mood changes
- Decreased sex drive
- Weight gain
- Memory problems
- Slow metabolism
- Poor performance at your job or in school
- ADD and ADHD symptoms
When to See a Sleep Apnea Dentist
Visit Dr. Chung for a sleep apnea evaluation if you or your bed partner notices the following warning signs:
- Snoring that is loud enough to wake you or your bed partner
- Intermittent pauses in breathing while you sleep
- Shortness of breath that causes you to wake up during the night
- Excessive daytime sleepiness which potentially causes you to fall asleep while driving, working, or watching TV
Please call Softouch Dental Care at 703-319-6990 today to schedule your initial consultation at our office in Oakton, Virginia. Dr. Michael Chung serves patients throughout Northern Virginia in Fairfax, Reston, Alexandria, and Arlington, as well as Washington, D.C.