Dental implants can fill the gaps in your smile, but no surgical procedure is without risks. A consultation with implant dentist Dr. Chung will help you decide if dental implants are the right choice to restore your smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Choosing dental implants to replace your missing teeth provides several functional and aesthetic benefits. The stages of dental implant surgery take several months to complete, but in the end, you will have a strong, natural-looking smile.
Dental implants have many benefits, including:
- Permanent and durable. Dental implants fuse with your jawbone. They become part of your mouth and provide a strong bite like your natural teeth.
- Improved appearance. Because dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, no one will be able to tell that you have artificial teeth.
- Better oral health. Unlike tooth-supported dental bridges, dental implants don't require alteration of your natural teeth for implantation. And because they act like natural teeth, your dental implants can be maintained with good oral hygiene habits like flossing and brushing.
- Convenience. Dental implants do not have to be removed like dentures. There are no messy adhesives and no sliding around while chewing.
Risks of Dental Implants
As with any surgical procedure, dental implants do have potential risks and complications. Although complications arise rarely, you should discuss these potential risks and your dental health concerns with your implant dentist. Dr. Chung wants you to feel comfortable and safe in choosing this procedure.
Some of the complications that can occur with dental implants include:
- Integration failure. There is a chance that implants will not fuse correctly with the jawbone, which can cause discomfort or loose implants. To reduce this risk, your dentist will evaluate your jawbone to make sure it is dense enough for the surgery.
- Infection. The gums and area surrounding the implant site are ripe for infection if not well taken care of. To prevent this complication, you should follow the dentist's post-operative care instructions and make sure to maintain your good oral hygiene habits.
- Nerve or tissue damage. A very rare complication, damage of the blood vessels and nerves surrounding the implant can cause pain, swelling and numbness in the gums, lips, teeth or chin. Choosing an experienced, qualified dentist like Dr. Chung will help you avoid this kind of complication.
If you are interested in restoring your smile with dental implants, please contact Softouch Dental Care by calling 703-319-6990 to schedule your consultation with our experienced dentist. Our office serves patients in Fairfax, Oakton, Reston, Vienna and other areas of Northern Virginia.