Your teeth work together to support your oral health and general well-being. Missing one or more of them might not seem like a big deal, but it can actually cause a lot of problems. That’s why we recommend restoring your smile with a modern option like dental implants or a bridge. If you decide to leave an empty space instead, you put yourself at risk for the following:
- Difficulty eating: It can be nearly impossible to eat chewy, crunchy, or firm foods when you don’t have all of your teeth. As a result, you may find yourself avoiding many of the meals that you once enjoyed. And if you don’t chew your food well enough before you swallow, you may also experience digestive problems.
- Speech problems: Your teeth play a role in your ability to make certain sounds. When you lose some of them, it may begin to affect the way you talk. Slurred speech and lisping can occur as a consequence of untreated tooth loss.
- Dental misalignment: Teeth near a gap will inevitably start to move and shift. This can make your smile look crooked and lead to a host of other problems. Bite alignment issues, painful TMJ symptoms, tooth sensitivity, and uneven tooth wear are a few examples. Gum disease and cavities are also common in this situation.
- Jawbone loss: Your jawbone needs to be stimulated. When you lose a tooth, your jawbone no longer receives the necessary stimulation, and it will start to deteriorate. As this happens, you will notice undesirable changes in your facial appearance, such as a sunken or collapsed look.
- Low self-confidence: A gap in your smile can affect the way you see yourself. You may smile less than usual or cover your mouth when you laugh. Replacing missing teeth can help you feel much better about the appearance of your smile.
It’s much easier to replace a missing tooth soon after losing it to decay, gum disease, or injury. However, there’s still hope if you have been living with tooth loss for years. Dr. Michael Chung will discuss your treatment options and help determine the right choice for you.
Schedule a Dental Appointment in Oakton
You deserve a smile that works great and looks even better. Talk to our dentist about your tooth replacement options today.
Call 703-319-6990 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Michael Chung. Softouch Dental Care happily welcomes patients from Oakton, Vienna, McLean, and nearby areas of Northern Virginia.