Serving Northern Virginia including Oakton, Fairfax, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington and Washington D.C.
Porcelain veneers are one of the most popular and aesthetically pleasing means used in cosmetic dentistry to create a more beautiful smile. They are thin shells of dental ceramic bonded to the front surfaces of teeth. Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Michael Chung and his team at Softouch Dental Care in Oakton, Virginia have used porcelain veneers to improve hundreds of smiles and as many combinations of small dental defects.
Dental problems solved by veneers
A veneer procedure can correct several minor problems at once:
- Small gaps between teeth
- Chips and surface cracks
- Stubborn discoloration that does not respond to tooth whitening
- Minor crookedness or misalignment
- Mismatched tooth sizes
- Uneven tooth shapes
If your teeth have any of these defects, you could contact Dr. Chung’s dentistry office for a porcelain veneers consultation, and perhaps porcelain veneers would be the best option for correcting them.
Before proceeding with veneers, Dr. Chung would first examine your teeth closely, looking at their particular coloring, size, shape and alignment. He would explain how veneers work, show you some photos such as you can see on our Before and After Cosmetic Dentistry page, and make sure that you are clear on what to expect.
If you decide to go ahead with porcelain veneers, Dr. Chung would choose an exact shade of porcelain for the laboratory to use in making your veneers. It would match your natural teeth, so your smile will be all of a piece in its bright youthfulness.
How porcelain veneers are done
Once you and Dr. Chung have made the decision that veneers are the best way to go, two visits are needed to create your new smile.
- The teeth to be treated will be prepared. Dr. Chung will lightly buff the front surfaces, removing enamel to perhaps the thickness of eggshell to make space for the veneers. Many people need no anesthetic for this, as so little enamel is removed, but you can certainly have anesthetic if you prefer.
- Dr. Chung will take an impression of the teeth using malleable impression putty. He will send this, along with supporting information, to our dental laboratory, and they will use it as a model for your veneers.
- The lab will take one to two weeks to craft your customized porcelain veneers, and in that waiting period, you might be wearing temporary veneers. This would be decided ahead of time based on your tooth sensitivity, your preference, and Dr. Chung’s professional judgment.
- Your veneers have now arrived at our office, and Dr. Chung will examine them closely. He will place them temporarily, assessing their fit and perhaps adjusting or trimming them very slightly. This is highly-trained precision work, and is an example of how cosmetic dentistry is as much art as it is science. You will probably need no anesthetic for this step.
- When you and Dr. Chung are both satisfied with the veneer’s shape and fit, he will bond it permanently to the tooth. A curing light hardens the bonding material in a few seconds, and now you have a new tooth.
For more information, see The Porcelain Veneer Process.
Porcelain veneers need the same daily care you give your natural teeth. Porcelain is stain-resistant and durable and we are confident that you will enjoy the benefits of your veneers for many years to come.
Please contact us at Softouch Dental Care to arrange your personal consultation. Your consultation is a time to meet Dr. Chung and his team and to look at our very comfortable offices. You can learn more about the amenities we offer on the About Our Dentistry page. Our experienced cosmetic dentistry team will answer all of your porcelain veneers questions.
We see only two or three patients each day, giving them very personalized attention and time, and we look forward to working with you. We serve Oakton, Tyson’s Corner, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, Washington D.C. and the Northern Virginia area.