Serving Northern Virginia including Oakton, Fairfax, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington and Washington D.C.
A bridge is a way of filling any gaps left by missing teeth. If you have any such gaps it would be a good idea to consider a bridge because leaving gaps for too long could cause misalignment among your remaining teeth. They would drift from their correct positions to fill the gap.
The big issue with bridges is how to anchor them in place. There are three types of dental bridges, each supported slightly differently.
- Traditional bridges – which are anchored by crowns on the two neighboring teeth. Even though the neighboring teeth are healthy, some of their enamel is removed to make room for the crown. Then the artificial tooth replacing your missing tooth is attached to them on each side.
- Northern Virginia bonded bridges – which are anchored by a metal framework with a “wing” on each side that connects to the existing teeth
- Cantilever bridges – which, as the name suggests, are anchored only on one side. When no tooth is present on one side of the gap (that is, it’s a back tooth that’s missing), the two teeth on the other side are given crowns and this provides extra strong support from that side to make up for the lack of support on the first side.
Benefits of dental bridges
A good dental bridge will:
- Restore your full ability to chew and speak
- Prevent other teeth from moving to fill the gap
- Retain the youthful shape of your face
- Restore your smile
- Keep your bite more healthy by distributing the bite forces properly
Besides the three traditional ways of attaching a bridge, there is a fourth way which modern cosmetic dentists offer. That is supporting the bridge with a dental implant. This is the best way, because it not only replaces the missing tooth, but the missing tooth root as well.
You can read more on our dental implants page. >
At Softouch Dental Care in Northern Virginia we believe that an educated patient is the best kind. Please give us a call, or send our an email to our cosmetic dentist, if you would like to have a personal consultation with Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Chung. We will be glad to answer your dental bridge questions and explain how the various procedures might benefit you.
We are a metal-free dental office and serve Oakton, Tyson’s Corner, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Washington D.C. and the Northern Virginia area.