Serving Northern Virginia including Oakton, Fairfax, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington and Washington D.C.
Dental bonding is a quick and easy procedure to correct many minor defects. The term “dental bonding” refers to both the procedure and substance used in the procedure. The procedure is also known as Tooth Bonding.
Bonding is a white, malleable substance which Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Chung can shape in any way and to any size. It can be used to fill cavities, and is then known as a “white filling”, a “tooth-colored filling” or a “composite filling”. When Dr. Chung applies it to your teeth it is soft, but after he has it shaped to your satisfaction and his, he will use a curing light to harden it.
Defects corrected by dental bonding
- Small gaps between front teeth
- Slight crookedness
- Slight misalignment
- Small chips or surface cracks
- Discoloration that will not respond to tooth whitening
Dental bonding compared to porcelain veneers
Both dental bonding and porcelain veneers can be used to correct the same minor defects. But there are differences in how the procedures are done, in the visual results, and in the longevity of the results.
- Dental bonding is applied directly to your teeth by Dr. Chung and requires only one visit.
- Porcelain veneers are made in a dental laboratory and require two visits to complete.
- Bonding is white and matches your natural teeth, but lacks the characteristic shine teeth have.
- Porcelain is partially translucent like tooth enamel. They both absorb and reflect light in similar ways and therefore look very similar.
- Dental bonding will gradually discolor like your natural teeth. Pigments in food and drink, like coffee, cola drinks, and blackberries, will stain and yellow it.
- Porcelain is stain-resistant. It is unaffected by pigmented substances much the way glass is.
Dental bonding costs less than porcelain veneers. You can read more about finance on our Affordable Cosmetic Dentistry Financing page.
Teeth which have been treated with dental bonding will need the same care you give your teeth in any case. Daily brushing and flossing is always important, as it will keep your teeth as free as possible from bacteria and help you avoid any gum disease.
Please contact our cosmetic dentistry office to set up your initial personal consultation. You’ll be able to meet Dr. Chung and his team and look around our comfortable offices. You can learn more about us on the About Our Cosmetic Dentistry page.
You can be confident that we will give you very personalized attention and time, and we look forward to working with you. We serve Oakton, Vienna, McLean, Great Falls, Tyson’s Corner, Reston, Alexandria, Arlington, Herndon, Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington, Washington D.C. and the Northern Virginia area.